Shaun Barnes first started playing golf when he was 10 years old, playing with his father and brother. Shaun and his brother played at Haggin Oaks in the junior golf program in the early 1980’s but he never took the game too seriously until 10 years later while earning an A.S. degree in Physical Therapy at Loma Linda University.
Shaun worked at Sutter Memorial and Sutter General Hospitals as a Physical Therapist Assistant from 1995 until 2000 when he decided to switch careers. He attended the Professional Golfers Career College in Temecula, CA where he earned a specialized Associates Degree in golf management and graduated Valedictorian.
Before joining the team at Haggin Oaks, Shaun worked for The First Tee of Greater Sacramento at William Land Golf Course where he coached juniors and adults the game of golf.
Shaun’s passion is coaching golf. His philosophy is that no matter what level of golfer, “having fun” should be the #1 priority while learning and playing. “By getting the student to be more aware of what they are doing and why they are doing it, they can become their own golf coach.” A strong base of fundamentals (grip, posture, aim and alignment) is the process which can, and will, lead to desirable outcomes.
Other highlights include:
- Named the 2006 Morton Golf Professional of the Year
- PGA Member since 2009
- National The First Tee Coaches Training (Level 1)
- Attended NCPGA Player 81 Teacher Development Forum (2003-2005, 2010) featuring: Hank Haney, Butch Harmon, Gary Wiren, Dave Pelz, Jim Flick, Ben Doyle, Michael Breed, Jim Hardy and many other Top 100 Teachers
- Attended the PING Fitting School—February 2007
- Named 2010 Northern California PGA Club Fitter Of the Year